The history of Salomonsborn

Investigated and combined in short form by Achim Siegel, Salomonsborn.
More information at History Salomonsborn.

1143 ... prenominato patre Willegyso in memoriam sui dilecteque sororis SophiÄ™ de propriis prediis et reditibus sitis in Turingia et Saxonia, scilicet Geisbotesleibe, Chindehusen, Salemannesbrunnen, Eschenberc, Husun, Harstal et ultra flumen Unstrut Merchesleibe, Godenhelingun, Grabaho, Cornere, Hohungun cum pertinentibus ad easdem villas ...

The village name was first found in an 1143 document, which is in Latin, and the name is written, "Salemannesbrunnen".
1346 A document dated this year has the name written as "Salmansborne".
1467 A document of January 1, declared the village a fief of Hans Utzberg. He was a citizen of Erfurt. About 1570, Christoph of Utzberg was born in Salomonsborn. Later, he was a trader of “Waid“, this means to dye cloth, and was a councilor in the city Erfurt. He died in 1626.
1601 The daughter of Christoph of Utzberg was christened February 16 in the church of Salomonsborn.
1604 Brothers, Christoph and Heinrich of Utzberg, sold the village to the city of Erfurt on February 14, for the sum of 5,000 "Gulden", the unit of money at that time. The village name on this document is written “Salmonßborn”. These documents can be found in the archives of the states of the Federal Republik of Germany, i.e., Thüringen, Sachsen-Anhalt, Rheinland-Pfalz and Hessen, etc.
1604 "Verrechten", the land register, listed these 35 house owners in the village and two others who do not own their homes.

Merten Kluge, Hans Gansert der Alte, Hans Ziehn, Hans Kluege, Heine Burkhart, Henckel Braun, Michel Range, Hans Ziehn, Jacob Große, Ullrich Gansert, Michel Müller, Hans Möller, Hans Biehmann, Katharina Burkhart, Lazarus Burkhart, Walter Gerneck, Merten Range, Balzer Stieffel, Leonhardt Ziehn, Hein Vinz Range, Vinz Rangen fraw, Wendel Range, Hans Apell, Heine Kraushaar, Christoffel Völker, Hans Möller der Alte, Görge Rese, Hans Burkhart, Hans Leonhart, Merten Möller, Wendel Apell, Hans der Alte, Bastian Völker, Curdt Lappe, Volkmar Westhausen

Two people not owning houses: Hans Gansert jun., Christoff Westhausen
1618 - 1648 During the thirty-years-old war, ("Dreißigjähriger Krieg") villages were destroyed and many people died of starvation. Food and livestock were taken by the mercenaries from the people.
1634 The pastor of the church in Salomonsborn was Johann Volbracht (Volprecht); he was also pastor of the other nearby village churches.
1640 Troops from Sweden and Lüneburg devastated the village. The school house and the house of the teacher were destroyed.
1662 The school house was reconstructed.
1664 8,200 soldiers and mercenaries of Mainz, (today, this is a twin city of Erfurt), had a camp between Tiefthal, Marbach and Salomonsborn. These three villages were destroyed, the churches plundered, and the bells taken from the church towers.
1704 Fire damaged the village.
1705 Two new bells were poured in Erfurt for the church tower.
1706 The village of Salomonsborn was subordinated with other villages to the “Vogtei Nottleben”. The Vogtei was changed to another department. Then the village of Salomonsborn became a member of the Alach department.
1713 The municipality bought the brewery house and permission to brew. The cost was 100 "Gulden".
1717 There were 40 houses in Salomonsborn, including the school house, the bakery, and a house for the herdsman.
1719 A new house was built for the malt, which is necessary for the brewing of beer.
1722 The village was again damaged by fire. Seven houses were burned, three barns, the school house, and a barn belonging to the church. The school house was reconstructed in the same year. The money for the reconstruction was donated by the church and the villages surrounding Salomonsborn.
1728 The pastor was Johann Caspar Leyding, who continued until 1746.
1738 The old church was demolished in March 17 and the laying of the foundation stone was on Wednesday, April 23. The year 1738 is seen chiselled in the stone over the little door of the church.
1739 The tower of the church was completed. On the tower’s spire is a weather fane with the number 1740. There were 47 houses in the village. Money to finish the construction of the new church was made possible by a loan of over 100 “Gulden”.
1744 A new house was built for the bakery.
1746 Gabriel Conrad Müller became the new pastor and continued until 1753.
1747 The church was consecrated on Tuesday, June 27.
1753 Johann Salomon Braun started his work as the local pastor.
1757 The successor of pastor Braun was Karl August Naumburg, remained until 1766.
1763 An organ was built by the organ builder of Dachwig at the price of 212 "Gulden".
1766 Johann Bartholomäus became the new pastor, remaining until 1790.
1773 Jonas Stichling was the teacher in Salomonsborn until 1831, a teaching career of 58 years.
1806 - 1813 Napoleon becomes Sovereign of the territory around the city of Erfurt.
1807 A new school house was built at the cost of 180 "Gulden".
1815 The administration of Prussia was reorganized. The administration district Erfurt was reorganized. The following were the names of the inhabitants of Salomonsborn:
  • Johann Christoph Kamp : farmer
  • Sebastian Heinrich Hühn : churchinspector
  • Johann Melchior Dornheim : pastor
  • Jonas Stichling : teacher
  • Jacob Heinrich Hühn : farmer
  • Johann Gabriel Kästner : farmer
  • Christoph Heinrich Kamp : farmer
  • Johann Heinrich Dietz : farmer
  • Christoph Voigt : shepherd
  • Dietrich Hühn : farmer
  • Anton Müller : farmer
  • Hieronymus Hartung : farmer
  • Georg Wilhelm Burghard : farmer
  • Johann Andreas Gottstedt : economist
  • Simon Focke : economist
  • Johann Heinrich Hühn : local board
  • Johann Wilhelm Weishaupt : local board
  • Christoph Kästner : farmer
  • Johann Heinrich Stichling : farmer
  • Johann Heinrich Stelzner
  • Johann Christian Stübchen : farmer
  • Jeremias Kerst
  • Andreas Rottstedt basketmaker
  • Johann Anton Müller tax collector
  • Paul Kupfer
  • Johann Christoph Müller : linen weaver
  • Johann Nicolai Burghardt
  • Heinrich Michael Ernst Görke : day laborer
1817 All villages must write a chronicle of their events and it is now part of this chronicle. The original handwritten chronicle has vanished.
1825 A fire on Sunday, April 10th burned down 15 houses and 13 barns.
1832 A big storm occurred on August 25.
1841 The brewery was damaged and all the equipment was sold.
1847 Crop failures of fruits in Europe caused widespread famine.
1849 Two new bells, purchased for the church tower, cost 350 "Taler".
1854 A new order forbids straw roofs and only roofing tiles may be used. The local board will make sure this was followed.
1870 In the Franco-Prussian War, 12 inhabitants of Salomonsborn were part of the war service: Oskar Müller, Eduard Kästner*, Karl Schmidt*, Alexander Hoffmann*, Ernst Müller, Zacharias Kupfer*, Heinrich Schlöffel, Ernst Kolbe, Ernst Hartung, Oskar Altenburg und Friedrich Kupfer. Five of the soldiers were married*, and their wives received money from the village. All soldiers returned home. A lime tree, named "Kaiserlinde", was planted opposite the schoolhouse.
1873 Germany introduced a new system for money – Mark, unit of weight - Kilo, and unit of measurement - Meter.
1876 A census this year gave a population of 184 people in the village.
1877 A fire brigade was organized and a water-machine to fight fires was purchased.
1878 A letterbox was put up by house number 26. This was the house of the fire brigade. The postman emptied the letterbox in the morning and in the evening each day.
1882 In this year, there was a cloudburst on May 27. All bridges were destroyed and the field crops were destroyed by hail. The government declared Sunday, October 13th the day to celebrate the consecration of the church.
1886 A scale was built for the cattle.
1888 The local government installed 4 oil-lights for the village streets.
1893 In three years, the local government built a road between Salomonsborn and Marbach.
1896 A water pipe was made in the Bachstraße. It was paid for by the owners of these houses: Ernst Kolbe, Oscar Müller, Theodor Henne, Hermann Lippold, Hugo Rudolph, Johann Möller, Edmund Hobohm, Wilhelm Kirchner, and Gustav Weber. The work was completed by Easter, April, 14.
1898 The village had 192 Inhabitants living in 55 houses. In school there are 18 boys and 10 girls in one room taught by one teacher.
1906 The village of Alach provided a post office for the villages of Salomonsborn, Gut Schaderode, Ermstedt, Gottstedt, Frienstedt and Gutshof Fürstenhof.
1908 All houses now have electricity.
1913 A new restaurant was built. All houses now have a water pipeline for drinking water.
1917 The two bells from the church tower are taken down for the war of 1914/18, the first world war. The big bell was made in 1575. All kettles, made of copper, must be delivered to the government.
1921 Three soldiers died in the war. A commemorative plaque was made of black stone. The cost was 1,650 "Mark".
1922 Two bells were made for the church tower at the cost of 13,000 “Mark”.
1928 The winter was very strong with temperatures below -35 degrees Celsius. All walnut trees and many other fruit trees were killed because of the extremely cold weather.
1939 There were 207 inhabitants living in the village of Salomonsborn.
1941 The bells were taken down from the church tower for the World War II.
1945 The village of Salomonsborn came under fire by American troops on Tuesday, April 10, at the eleven o’clock in the morning. The white flag was placed on the top of the church tower. Many farm houses, barns and stables were damaged. In Salomonsborn, 400 inhabitants were living in 40 houses.
1946 Land reform required the farmers to deliver all field crops, meat and eggs by specific production.
1949 In Alach, the headquarters “MAS” was established to loan tractors and other machines for agriculture.
1950 The final closing of the school in Salomonsborn. The mayor (English word for "Bürgermeister") of Salomonsborn gave up his function in May 1. Salomonsborn became part of Alach on June 2.
1957 A shopping house opened in the old bakery.
1960 The agriculture production cooperative, LPG „Einigkeit“, was founded.
1964 On December 31st, there were 84 men and 110 wives as inhabitants of Salomonsborn.
1977 A new water pipeline was built for the village by the inhabitants.
1980 Garbage collection was introduced.
1989 The village has 175 inhabitants.
1992 A free newspaper began publishing for the villages Alach, Salomonsborn and Schaderode.
1993 The ceremony to celebrate 850 years of Salomonsborn was held from August 27, to September 9.
1994 On April 1, the villages of Alach, Salomonsborn, and Schaderode became part of the city Erfurt.
1995 The old streets were renamed as follows: „Anger“ is now „Herrenstraße, „Erfurter Straße“ is „Dionysiusgasse“, „Lindenplatz“ is “Am Lindenberg“, „Bachstraße“ is „Am Rosenborn“. The house numbers were also changed.
2004 Salomonsborn became independent. The new mayor (English for "Bürgermeister") is Mrs. Landherr.
2006 The village of Salomonsborn has 1088 inhabitants.
2007 The Kirmesgesellschaft decides to change celebrating the Kirmes from guesthouse "Hohe Warte" to a tent at the sports ground. The first Kirmes in a tent startet on 26 October.
2012 Salomonsborn gets connection to the DSL and therefore has a fast Internet connection. In the same year the zip code of 99100 to 99090 is changed.